Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Artfully Preserving Memories Digitally

Ahhhhh yes…..Scrapbooking; it's every creative gal's favorite way to preserve memories. But let's be honest, who has time these days to shop for the supplies, get out the supplies, learn how to use the supplies, utilize the supplies, clean up the supplies, then put away the supplies?

As a mother of three kids and a small (very small!) business owner, I found that one of my favorite hobbies was turning into a headache I no longer found relaxing. So what to do?I didn't want to give up the memories I was preserving for my three children and their posterity, yet I honestly did not have time to keep up all three of their life threads.

During this frustrating time, a photographer friend of mine suggested digital scrapbooking as a way to cut down on the time, the expense, and the mess. She was in full digi-scrap swing and loving it, but I had my doubts. There was just something about a flat piece of finished scrapbook paper versus a 3-D piece of finished scrapbook "artwork" that didn't seem quite as nice. However, I decided to check it out and to my surprise, I was immediately hooked.

Digital scrap takes all the same elements we work with in traditional scrapbooking, and makes them digital. All your paper, cutting tools, brads, ribbons, fibers, finish techniques, embossing, etc., etc., etc., it's all there in a neat little kit you can simply get on line, pay for, and immediately download. Shop at home, there is no mess to get out or put away, and you can literally cut your scrapbooking time in half. Oh, and the finished product is awesome! I have completely converted to digital scrapbooking and I couldn't be happier.

If you have a photo editing program on your computer, you are good to go. Check out Scrapgirls.com for some great tutorials, fabulous products, and lots of freebies. A few other sites my digi-scrap pals and I have found really helpful are: twopeasinapocket.com, retrodiva.net, cottagearts.net, and digitalfreebies.com. You can find enough freebies on these sites to set you up for a long time.

Digital scrapbooking skills, tools and elements don’t have to be used only to create memory books. Semiprecious1, uses all of these techniques and tools when creating unique and chic “Bubble Art” pendants. See semiprecious1’s amazing line of jewelry in person this Friday night at the KCEtsy First Fridays Trunk Show at Shriaz Restaurant from 7-10 pm.

* Written by semiprecious1.

No comments: